Friday, June 3, 2011

Village Life



It's been a while since my last post, but I have been in the small village Karawara where there is no Internet connection. I spent four days in the village and had an amazing experience. My first day was spent at the annual cricket tournament that is put on by NGO, Alfa Educational Society. My friend Clare and I were the tournament's special guests which is the highest honor an outsider can receive. I am only the second person not born in the village to stay for an extended amount of time. The daily routine is very different than we are used to; the work pace is much slower and people take time out of their day to stop and converse with you. It was a new concept for someone like me who is used to not having nearly enough time during the day. I really appreciated how everyone in the town made me feel welcome. We are used to seeing different as a bad thing, but the people of Karawara wanted to know all about my life story. A few people found entertainment in my poor Hindi vocabulary. I guess I still have some work to do at my weekly Hindi lesson. Overall, life is great! I'm having such a great time with my host family and in the village. I'm hoping for a productive work week to make Alfa a sustainable organization for years to come. I hope everyone is having a great summer!

3 comments:

  1. :) Glad to hear it is going so well. I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU MELISSA YOU ARE ROCKIN IT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You and Melissa seem to be having a fantastic time! Keep up the hard work and enjoy!

    -Kelly from KISI

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good views on our Thorp....

    ReplyDelete